Stuffed veal peppers
Prepare ahead of time, just heat and serve.
- 454 g (1 lb.) ground veal
- 125 ml (½ cup) uncooked long grain white rice
- 250 ml 1 cup of water or as needed
- 6 Bell peppers, assorted colours
- 1 can 540 ml (19 fl oz.) tomato sauce
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) Lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) onion powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) oregano dried
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) basil dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix ground veal, rice, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a large deep pot with the hollowed sides facing upward.
- Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper, leaving a ½ inch free space from the top of the bell pepper.
- Mix the water and tomato sauce in a separate bowl and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and pour over the stuffed peppers, making sure the sauce completely covers the stuffed peppers. You may need to add more water or another can of tomato sauce in order to cover peppers. The size of the Bell peppers will dictate the amount of liquid.
- Cook on high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmer gently for 1 hour or until the peppers are tender.
Optionnal : Sprinkle the stuffed peppers with grated parmesan cheese before serving.